Third Light Developer Exchange

Code and templating community forum for developers and software integrators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

If you wish to join the Developer Exchange, please contact your account manager - this is to avoid unnecessary spam in the forums. Many thanks for your understanding.

#1 2014-11-04 12:15:06

priyashanthahp

Video URLs get expired

I got a problem with video urls generated by thirdlight. For the same reference id, I can't access the url previously got. It downloads a s.flv file with 0 bytes. but after regenerate the url for the same ref id using an api call it changes the preivous url and it works fine. For image downloads there was an attribute 'permenent = true' for 'Downloads_GetLink'. But I couldn't find one in 'Files_GetStreamDetails' for permenant urls.

It'd great if someone can help with this.

thanks.

#2 2014-11-05 10:23:16

steve
Third Light Staff

Re: Video URLs get expired

Hi,

Although "permanent=true" is an option to the API call Downloads.GetLink() and was originally designed for generating permanent links to files for use on other websites, it doesn't yet support video. GetStreamDetails() hasn't been designed for permanent links and as such will only return a temporary URL to the resource. This is the same as a thumbnail URL which is only valid for a set period before it expires.

In the future will are like to add support for video formats to Downloads.GetLink() but until then there is an alternative you could try. Have a look at Downloads.PublishAssetByDownloadSize() and DownloadCategories.GetAvailableDownloadSizes(). These tie in to the Download Categories and Download Sizes you configure for the Download Wizard (Configuration > Download Categories). It is more cumbersome to use than GetLink() but ultimately it can acheive the same thing although with more logging and records available on the front end (any published instance is visible on the viewmovie page under Reporting > Published Files).     

One extra point about GetLink() and video support - it does support video in the sense that you can always get the original of a file, what it doesn't support is derived formats of a video. GetLink can't be used to display a FLV version derivative for example.

Best Regards,
Steve

#3 2014-11-07 07:17:26

priyashanthahp

Re: Video URLs get expired

Hello Steve,

Thank you vey much for your response. I got it worked :)

Best Regards!!
Priya

Board footer